At W J Beswetherick & Son, we respect your personal data. This Fair Processing Notice explains how we will use your personal data when you choose W J Beswetherick & Son for the funeral arrangements of the deceased person. Your information will be filed securely both on our computers and any paper copies will be securely stored.
Our contact details
What personal data do we collect about you? How will we use that personal data?
When you choose W J Beswetherick & Son we will collect your name and contact details so that we can fulfil our contract to you. You may wish to give us photographs and personal descriptions of your family or loved one.
What is our legal basis for processing your personal data? How long do we hold your personal data?
We need a legal basis in order to process your personal data.
- We need your contact details so that we can fulfil our contract to you.
- We have a legal obligation to share some of your data with organisations such as Registrars, Coroners, Police and other legal bodies as necessary.
- We will seek your consent for notices to be posted in the media and on social media or our website.
- We will seek your consent to share your data with other companies who provide services to us.
Do we have a statutory or contractual requirement to process your personal data?
There is a contractual requirement for us to process your personal data because you are one of our customers and we need to fulfil our contractual responsibilities.
Do we use any automated decision making?
We do not use any automated decision making.
Who do we share your personal data with?
- Companies that provide services to us. Our telephone service providers will get to see your phone number if we call you and our broadband supplier which could see your email address (but not the content of what you send us, if you encrypt it).
- We will also share your data (with your consent) to: Stonemasons, Ministers & Celebrants, Funeral Car Providers, Printers, Florists, Wake Locations.
- We are legally obliged to share your data with authorities, legal bodies or repatriation companies.
- Cloud service & IT providers. We use a number of cloud service & IT providers, such as our email services and webhosting. We also share with IT professionals who not only ensure that our systems run smoothly, but are also committed to the highest standards of data protection compliance.
- We use WorldPay to process payments.
- We use an Accountant to help us with our finances.
- In response to a court order. It is possible, though unlikely, that we might be forced to disclose your information in response to a court order.
Do we transfer your personal data outside of the EU or EEA?
We use Microsoft which is based in the USA. However adequate safeguards are in place as Microsoft is certified to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
- We keep a record of all funerals in our secure storage for 30 years.
You have rights in respect of our processing of your personal data which are:
- To access to your personal data and information about our processing of it. You also have the right to request a copy of your personal data (but we will need to remove information about other people).
- To rectify incorrect personal data that we are processing.
- To request that we erase your personal data if:
- we no longer need it;
- if we are processing your personal data by consent and you withdraw that consent;
- if we no longer have a legitimate ground to process your personal data; or
- we are processing your personal data unlawfully
- To object to our processing if it is by legitimate interest.
- To restrict our processing if it was by legitimate interest.
- To request that your personal data be transferred from us to another company if we were processing your data under a contract or with your consent and the processing is carried out automated means.
If you want to exercise any of these rights, please contact us.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint about our processing the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the subsequent General Data Protection Regulation 2016 (the Act), the data controller is W J Beswetherick and Son Limited of Central House, Fairmantle Street, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 2EQ.
We are a member of the National Association of Funeral Directors.