We know from our research and customer feedback that the cost of funerals can be confusing and a concern to people.
That’s why we have launched our online pricing guide, which gives people a chance to understand the cost of a funeral and what is involved.
Despite being transparent with prices there are many people out there who find themselves in a situation where paying for a funeral is difficult.
So it was good to see the Government taking action to tackle this issue by extending its Bereavement Support Payment scheme.
The updated payment system was launched on Thursday 6 April by Minister for Welfare Delivery, Caroline Nokes.
Here’s a simple breakdown of the system and how it will work if you qualify:
- The Bereavement Support Payment amounts to a £3,500 lump-sum (£2,500 for those without children)
- There will be 18 monthly installments of £300 (£100 for those without children) – this has been increased from 12 months
- The lump-sum will not be taxed
- Now available to anyone younger than pension age with a child
- Now available to childless people over 45 whose husband, wife or civil partner has died
For more information to check on your eligibility please visit https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment/eligibility